How many of you Metal Rioters out there have gone to your local record store of choice and picked up a new metal album solely based on the art that graces its cover? I have found many a hidden gems and a few utter disappointments but there are few things greater in this world than gently cracking open the liner notes for the first time as the smell of ink and paper washes over you.
In the world of iTunes and Pandora, the art form that is the album cover is slowly dying. But we’re here to remind you that in the world of heavy metal, the art of the album cover is alive and well! So each Tuesday we’ll present to you the best album covers of the week to declare what we all already know – Heavy Metal is art.
This week we present to you our five favorite covers of the week. So, head on over here, check ‘em out, and and get your vote on! (And check out our new sweet gallery feature. Go ahead. Click on one of the covers. I dare you.)
What album cover kicks the most ass this week?
- Haemorrhage - "Hospital Carnage" (Relapse) (54%)
- Gravehill - "When All Roads Lead To Hell" (Dark Descent) (19%)
- Ipsissimus - "The Way Of Descent" (Metal Blade) (10%)
- Iron Maiden - "From Fear To Eternity: The Best Of 1990-2010" (Universal) (9%)
- Inevitable End - "The Oculus" (Relapse) (8%)