How many of you Metal Rioters out there have gone to your local record store of choice and picked up a new metal album solely based on the art that graces its cover? I have found many a hidden gems and a few utter disappointments but there are few things greater in this world than gently cracking open the liner notes for the first time as the smell of ink and paper washes over you.
In the world of iTunes and Pandora, the art form that is the album cover is slowly dying. But we’re here to remind you that in the world of heavy metal, the art of the album cover is alive and well! So each Tuesday we’ll present to you the best album covers of the week to declare what we all already know – Heavy Metal is art.
So welcome this week’s episode of: KICK ASS ALBUM COVERS OF THE WEEK!!! (insert blistering guitar shred here). What a sweet week we had as we watched SuidAkrA and Leaves’ Eyes go head-to-head and back-and-forth. Ultimately SuidAkrA’s “Book of Dowth” came out on top. So, congratulations to SuidAkrA and stay tuned for their return for May’s Cover of the Month voting in a few weeks.
But if you’re wondering what we have in store for you this week head on over here.
And don’t forget to scroll to the bottom to VOTE!
1. Chicago’s death doom, dark, gotchic metallers Novembers Doom defy the branding of genres and their latest release “Aphotic” shows us why. This gorgeous cover perfectly captures the sounds contained within. (The End Records)
What album cover kicks the most ass this week?
- Novembers Doom - “Aphotic” (The End Records) (60%)
- The Gates of Slumber - “The Wretch” (Rise Above) (27%)
- Spearhead - “Theomachia” (Agonia Records) (8%)
- Forgotten Tomb - “Under Saturn Retrograde” (Avantgarde Music) (3%)
- Hate Eternal - “Phoenix Among the Ashes” (Metal Blade Records) (2%)