How many of you Metal Rioters out there have gone to your local record store of choice and picked up a new metal album solely based on the art that graces its cover? I have found many a hidden gems and a few utter disappointments but there are few things greater in this world than gently cracking open the liner notes for the first time as the smell of ink and paper washes over you.
In the world of iTunes and Pandora, the art form that is the album cover is slowly dying. But we’re here to remind you that in the world of heavy metal, the art of the album cover is alive and well! So each Tuesday we’ll present to you the best album covers of the week to declare what we all already know – Heavy Metal is art.
So welcome this week’s episode of: KICK ASS ALBUM COVERS OF THE WEEK!!! (insert blistering guitar shred here). We had an awesome showing last week and we would like to congratulate Otep on her most kick ass album cover with last week’s “ATAVIST”. To check out this week’s selections and vote, head on over here.
1. First up is While Heaven Wept‘s “Fear of Infinity“. This cover is stunningly gorgeous and fits the mighty scale that is the doom laden sound of WHW. As you take in the cover ask yourself this question about the couple that are embracing, are they disappearing into the universe or are they emerging from it? (Nuclear Blast)
2. Twisted Tower Dire‘s cover for “Make It Dark” is straight out of my comic book dreams. You’ve got Mystera on the cover with her snow leopard at here feet telling you that you better back off. An epic cover for an epic sound. (Cruz del Sur Music)
4. Pennsylvania’s Argus has a sound and style that takes you on a while ride of adventure and danger. The cover for “Boldly Stride the Doomed” is stunning and gets one wondering what the story is here. Argus agrees and even held a contest recently asking that very thing. (Cruz del Sur Music)
5. Last but certainly not least, straight from the hills of Germany, I present to you SuidAkra‘s “Book of Dowth”. Another deceivingly complex cover that tells the story of the “Book of Dowth” in great majesty. (AFM Records)
What album cover kicks the most ass this week?
- SuidAkrA - "Book of Dowth" (49%)
- Leaves Eyes - "Meredead" (43%)
- Argus - "Boldly Stride the Doomed" (4%)
- While Heaven Wept - "Fear of Infinity" (3%)
- Twisted Tower Dire - "Make It Dark" (1%)